Thursday 25 August 2011

The Loving Dead


New favorite cake I have ever worked on. 

Queen Muskafa asked me to make a Corpse Bride cake for her cousin's wedding shower. How cool are they to throw a wedding shower with a creepy theme. I love it! I have wanted to do something based on Tim Burton's work for ages. Finally I got my chance!!! Her and her wonderful family even let me have creative licence. I had so many ideas I didn't know where to start!
I just started by making a whole bunch of fantasy flowers, and body parts. I also made the moon back drop out of fondant, and let it dry out for stability. I wasn't sure at that point how I was going to make it work, but i was starting to get a clear vision of how I wanted it to look. 

It wouldn't be Burton if there wasn't some swirly action. so lots of black curlies settin up.

 Then there was the cakes. The bottom tier was a 2 layer chocolate cake with chocolate Italian butter cream. the top was a 3 layer white cake with raspberry Italian butter cream. i offset it towards the back of the cake. then out came my old friend the airbrush. I really need to take some lessons with that thing, i made a terrible mess! but i got the effect i wanted, so I was happy in the end.



then i started adding all the little details i had made ahead of time. once the tiers had all their good stuff on them I tackled the daunting task of figuring out how to support the moon on top, which was going to support the characters. they have thin bodies and big heads, it seemed like the best option.

I covered wooden dowels in black fondant, and placed them in the cake on both tiers at an angle, hoping they would hold the topper in place. I wasn't sure it would work, and the first time i ever tried anything like this. When I placed the topper on I was shaking. I had spent probably at least 8 hours making the figures, and I was terrified it was going to fall. but it didn't. SIGH. Cakes are exciting sometimes. well, i think they are.... maybe i need to get out more.




So once the topper was off my stress list, it was time for celebrating. cake decorating and beer... not something i suggest all the time, but when the client is super cool, and the cake is almost done... why not! I had a beer with the always darling Queen Muskafa while I put on the finishing touches.  When I stepped back and looked at my final product, I was pretty darn pleased. By far one of the coolest cakes I have ever made. And as always I am proud to say it is all edible...OH except the wooden dowels. other than that 100% eatable 8)

Really.
Seriously.


The bride to be saved the characters and the topper. and Queen Muskafa even snagged acouple blue roses for herself. Its easier to think of someone eating the cake, if I know parts of them do survive sometimes.

So now I'm waiting for the next big order. I'm playing around, doing little projects, and experimenting. working a lot, but no big projects on the horizon. who is gonna make the next wicked sweet cake request?

2 comments:

  1. You are one talented cake decorator... would you ne interested in possibly teaching a hands on class at Eat Alberta next April... just a thought. We would need to talk about it - but you have an incredible talent - and clearly a wacky sense of humour.
    ;)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love teaching! I would love to talk to you about that 8)

    ReplyDelete